Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Grammar help

Last updated on 13 years ago
Cupid
As many of you know, I'm a bit of a grammar and English nut.

I'm not perfect. I'd say my English is a bit above average. Not amazing. I've never claimed to be an English professor.

One thing I could never understand no matter how much I tried to was the difference between "affect" and "effect"

I have the basics, but when it comes time to use it, I am always confused.

Is this the right use of the word?
Danny
That is correct.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/grammar...ammar.html

That does a good job of explaining it. Affect is more to sway, whereas effect is brought about by, caused, definite (very hard to explain).
i27.lulzimg.com/de3567e957.gif
E
Yes it is.

As a verb, effect means to execute, produce, or accomplish something
As a noun, affect is used primarily by psychologists to refer to feelings and desires
I always think of sound effects.

Does it sound effect you.
Does it affect you.

Does it sound effect you, sounds wrong...

Affectionate, is about feeling, and so it makes sense that affect you is the correct word.

W
Off topic, but a grammar mistake I see people often make is the usage of an and a.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/when-to-use-an/
Bouch
A is used before consonants... Like do you have A picture, or A wallet, or A yellow crayon

An is used before vowels.. Like....Can I have AN apple, or AN Orange, or do you know what AN amoeba is... But not used before Y just A, E, I, O, & U

The difference between EFFECT & AFFECT is, affect is used when describing what influence a change has on something else.
Effect, would be like your talking about the actual change

But they both take on totally different meanings as opposed to how they are used.. i.e. as A noun or AN adjective, or A verb or whatever

like if you said this.... I want to affect the sound in some way. After the "affect:" has happened it would be called a sound effect. effect is like the past tense of affect if you use it this way.. "to affect the sound" = "Create a Sound Effect"

I think thats right, i might have just made myself look like a total dumbass! ha:D
img84.imageshack.us/img84/1103/myvoltzlogo2.jpg
W
no, ur a fucking genius actually, i didnt take the time to figure out the difference in affect and effect as well, u put it in a good way where i cud understand it.
E
Another common grammar mistake is the your words.
Your is what belongs to you.
Your my owns a kitty cat.
You're is a contraction of you are.
You're dumb, or You're going to hell!, You're welcome, you're beautiful, you're an armadillo
Cupid
Emily, that's a mistake that you've made many, many times. You also don't seem to now the difference between "to" and "too"

E
Cupid, we haven't talked in a while. Clearly, i know the difference now. i've always known the difference between two, to, and too, Cupid.
Cupid
okay.. well no you didn't. Not in the past.. I can bring up some old chat logs with you making the "too" and "to" mistake..

I will if it becomes necessary.
E
have you ever considered it being a typo or those not allowed Zak? People make mistakes we aren't all perfect like you.
Cupid
Bouch, the topic was solved. So it's not really off topic now.

Emily, I'll get those logs later tonight or tomorrow.
Cupid
Actually never mind. Not worth it. You win.
E
Post them, but like i said people make mistakes. Also I don't really care, Zak. i'll be at work all night tonight and all day tomorrow.
Bouch
I have another easier way for you to remember the difference between Affect and Effect, Cupid.

Affect is a Verb
Effect is a Noun
img84.imageshack.us/img84/1103/myvoltzlogo2.jpg
P
u fools, i will destroy you all with my grammar

its kingly, better than the best

i said i fell like a runaway slave
E
Sentences should start with a capital letter and end with a fullstop. Better than the best does not exist. In your sentences, "i" should be "I". It should be "It's" not "its".

So tell me. How is your grammar "better than the best" and "kingly"?
P

easy on me wrote:
Sentences should start with a capital letter and end with a fullstop. Better than the best does not exist. In your sentences, "i" should be "I". It should be "It's" not "its".

So tell me. How is your grammar "better than the best" and "kingly"?

i was playing the informal style where it doesnt matter...

but you are clearly playing the formal style but failing, like your adjectives and verbs have not been restricted ;-) (not like youd know what that means mister preposition strander :-|)
E
I'm not the one who said my grammar was the best, either. I love it how people make claims and when shown to be wrong, they start telling you how you yourself don't live up to their claim. I didn't claim it in the first place. Why does my grammar even have anything to do with the subject?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Moderators
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.
N
nesquickk2 months ago
hi again. did the shoutbox get deleted, hahahaa
PraeTorian
PraeTorian6 months ago
Dang, been a while. Hope the Voltz peeps are all doing well. -Prae
Cupid
Cupid4 years ago
Yes.
P